Homeless - Humboldt Community School District


 The board will make reasonable efforts to identify homeless children and youth within the district, encourage their enrollment and eliminate existing barriers to their receiving an education which may exist in district policies or practices. The designated coordinator for identification of homeless children and for tracking and monitoring programs and activities for these children is the Middle School Dean of Students, Brad Nelson.

Please click on the link below for Education Rights of Homeless Children:







Homeless Liaison

Brad Nelson, Dean of Students

1400 Wildcat Rd

Humboldt, IA 50548

(515) 332-2812 ext. 6327



Information for Parents and School Aged Youth

If you live in any of the following situation:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accomodations, or
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then, you have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

You have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. You must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.
  • Continue in the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. The school disctrict's local liaison for homeless education must assist you, if needed, and offer you the right to appeal a decision regarding your choice of school if it goes against your wishes.
  • Receive transportation to the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last atteneded, if you request such transportation.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with students who are not homeless. Students cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other students served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and school programs.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the school district's local liaison for homeless education (Brad Nelson 515-332-2812 ext. 6327) for help in enrolling in a new school or arranging to continue in your former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.
  • Tell your teachers anything that you think they need to know to help you in school.
  • As the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Who is considered "homeless"?

"Homeless child or youth" is defined as a child or youth from the ages of 3 years through 21 years who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes the following:

1.  A child or youth who is sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; is living in a motel, hotel, trailer park, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; is living in an emergency or transitional shelter; is abandoned in a hospital; or is awaiting foster care placement.

2.  A child or youth who has a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.

3.  A child or youth who is living in a car, park, public space, abandoned building, substandard housing, bus or train station, or similar setting; or

4.  A migratory child or youth who qualifies as homeless because the child or youth is living in circumstances described in paragraphs "1" through "3" above.
"Preschool child" is defined as a child who is three, four, or five years of age before September 15.
"Unaccompanied youth" is defined as a youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.

Includes youth who have runaway or

youth being forced to leave home.


Copyright © 2018 Humboldt Community School District. All Rights Reserved.