HUMBOLDT COMMUNITY SCHOOL MATHEMATICS VISION: The vision of the HCSD Math Curriculum Team is for ALL students and teachers to be active critical thinkers who contribute positively to the world in which we live and learn.
Math Shifts: Every content area outlines a set of instructional shifts needed to effectively implement the Iowa Core State Standards.
- Focus: Focus curricular efforts where the standards focus (“less is more” shift)
- Coherence: Think across grades and link between major topics
- Rigor: In major topics, pursue (equal intensity)
- Conceptual understanding (know it and do it)
- Procedural skill (think and formulate/solve problems
- Fluency (speed and accuracy)
- Application (real world)