School Cancellation Processes
Our district administration, faculty, and staff understand that our decision to open or close schools has a big effect on families. We also understand that our students are better served, both academically and socially, by being in school. But, as always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION? Please understand that we make the decision to open or close the schools is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from transportation staff, adjoining school districts, and from local law enforcement. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous roads in the district; they can be treacherous even if your street or road looks clear.
- Amount of snow and/or ice accumulated.
- Is the snow and/or ice expected to continue throughout the day.
- Temperature and wind chill.
- Weather predictions from satellite systems, local radar, National Weather and NOAA Weather radio.
- The weather’s impact on our bus fleet.
- Building conditions (such as whether they have electricity and heat).
- Parking lots and sidewalk conditions.
- Notifications from Law Enforcement
WHO MAKES THE DECISION? The Superintendent of Schools is ultimately responsible for the final decision based on the above factors and recommendations from the Directors of Transportation and Maintenance. When it is deemed necessary to cancel school, we will provide the following radio and TV stations with the cancellation information. Our goal is to inform the community as soon as possible of any cancellation Information. If school is let out early due to weather conditions, and the route driver cannot get your son or daughter home, the driver will bring your children back to school and call you to have you make arrangements to pick them up
Find emergency/weather related messaged on the Humboldt Community School homepage
Call the Humboldt Community School Hotline: 515-332-9700
INFINITE CAMPUS MESSENGER
Parents may call the building offices to set up their access to Infinite Campus and receive support in signing up for emergency/weather text and/or phone messages.